Drainback Solar Water Heater Systems (Traditional)
Renewable Energy Incentives
This solar product qualifies for a 30% Federal Tax Credit, as well as State and Local incentives for renewable energy. More info on renewable energy incentives.
Traditional Drainback Systems
Specially designed drainback tanks can convert any regular water heater into a solar water heater!
The Traditional Drainback Kit includes:
• 10-gallon US-made drainback tank with heat exchanger
• Taco 009 Bronze circulator pump
• Taco 003 Bronze circulator pump
• Taco Bronze pump flange set for 009 pump
• Steca TR301 U solar controller
• Brass boiler drain
• 50 psi pressure valve
• Tank stand
• Solar collector
IMPORTANT: Water storage tank is NOT included. This kit installs on the existing stroage tank.
NOTE: Additional fittings and piping are required during the install.
How does a Traditional Drainback Solar System work?
Traditional Drainback Systems use a pump to circulate water or glycol in the collector loop, which drops into a reservoir tank when the pump stops. They also use a differential controller to start the pump (or the pumps) and to route the water into the system. This process begins whenever the sensors attached to the collector detect useful sunlight available (which happens when the temperature in the collector is higher than the temperature of the water at the bottom of the storage tank).
View a diagram of a Traditional Drainback System (opens in new window).
Click here to learn more about the 10 Gallon Drain Back Tank (opens in new window).
In this section:
- Thermosiphon Systems
- Flat Plate Solar Thermal Collectors
- Liberty DC Power Solar Box
- Open Loop Active Direct Solar Water Heating Systems
- ProPac Certified Drainback Solar Water Heating Systems
- Traditional Drainback Systems
- ProPac Drainback KIT
- Simple Drainback Systems
- Active Systems
- Solar Pool Heating
- Nanosol 35-Gallon Capacity Portable Solar Water Heating Unit
- Flashing Kits
- Mounting Racks & Sets
- Roof Hooks for Solar Collectors
- Thermosiphon Fittings
- Solar Access & Shade Reports
- South American Products
- Frequently Asked Questions
Convert Metric units
to Standard units: